Sharon Otieno: Chilling Details Emerge in Murder Trial of Ex-Rongo University Student

StarNews
6 Min Read


  • The DPP urged the Milimani High Court to convict former Migori Governor Okoth Obado and two co-accused, presenting evidence of a coordinated plot behind Sharon Otieno’s 2018 murder
  • Prosecutors detailed how Michael Oyamo and Casper Obiero acted as trusted operatives, linking them to the abduction at Graca Hotel and the vehicle tied to Obiero’s family
  • Extensive witness testimony, forensic reports, and phone analyses were presented, with the prosecution dismissing the defence as inconsistent and insisting no reasonable doubt exists

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has asked the Milimani High Court to convict former Migori Governor Zacharia Okoth Obado and two others over the killing of university student Sharon Otieno.

Former governor Okoth Obado.
Former Migori governor Okoth Obado with his lawyer Kioko Kilukumi. Photo: ODPP.
Source: Twitter

During today’s court session, the prosecution team led by Senior Assistant DPP Gikui Gichuhi laid out a strong case showing a coordinated plan and joint criminal enterprise that culminated in the 2018 death.

“The evidence paints a coherent picture of the accused acting in concert, with a shared intention to eliminate Sharon Otieno and silence witness (XYZ) to avoid political fallout, reputational harm, and embarrassment to Governor Obado,” Gichuhi told the court.

Read also

Rigathi Gachagua abruptly cancles protest march to IG Kanja office, announces rallies in 4 counties

Why DPP wants Obado and 2 co-accused convicted

The prosecution further demonstrated that Michael Juma Oyamo and Casper Ojwang Obiero, co-accused in the matter, served as trusted operatives in the plot.

Search option is now available at TUKO! Feel free to search the content on topics/people you enjoy reading about in the top right corner 😉

They were at the Graca Hotel on the night of September 3, 2018, when Sharon and XYZ were abducted.

The car used, registration number KCL 418K, belongs to Obiero’s wife and was driven by a longtime associate.

Gichuhi guided the court through extensive material, including witness accounts, cybercrime findings, phone records, and forensic evidence, all pointing directly to the accused.

“From the start, we committed to showing the court that the evidence, like pieces of a puzzle, form a complete picture of the events that led to Sharon’s tragic death,” she said.

The prosecution dismissed the defence as inconsistent and based on afterthoughts meant to mislead, stressing that no reasonable doubt exists.

The DPP charged the former county chief, Oyamo, and Obiero with Sharon Otieno’s murder, and the court has already determined they have a case to answer.

Read also

Nyeri man who killled 7-year-old girl, buried body in his house handed death sentence

The court is scheduled to reconvene on March 18, 2026, to set the judgment date.

A total of 42 witnesses were presented in court to testify against Obado.

The final witness, Chief Inspector Nicholas Ole Sena, told the court that Obado’s personal assistant contacted Sharon on the day she was killed.

Ole Sena disclosed that Oyamo lured Sharon to a hotel in Rongo, where she arrived before meeting her death.

How 42nd witness testified in Sharon Otieno’s murder case

His testimony further confirmed that DNA test results showed a 99.99% probability that Obado was the father of Sharon’s unborn child.

Sharon Otieno.
Sharon Otieno was murdered with an unborn child. Photos: Citizen TV.
Source: Twitter

Based on his account, the detective recommended that the three accused individuals face murder charges.

Earlier, Obado had complained that the ODPP was intent on implicating him in the killing.

He requested access to police statements recorded by his son, Dan Obado.

A witness had previously testified that Obado suspected his son of having a romantic involvement with Sharon.

Taxi driver Jackson Otieno Gombe also testified against Obado, claiming he drove the men who took Sharon into the forest and noted they did not return with her.

Read also

Nyeri dad speaks after killer of 7-year-old daughter is sentenced to death: “We have closure”

At the time of her death, Sharon was carrying a seven-month-old unborn child.

Her body was later found in a forest in Uriri, with autopsy results indicating she died from blunt force trauma.

Source: TUKO.co.ke





Source link

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *