- The Kenya National Highways Authority justified its decision to bring down the makeshift structures and stalls along the Thika Superhighway
- KeNHA said the move was part of its continuous efforts to improve road safety, mobility and transport infrastructure along the superhighway
- However, hundreds of traders in Githurai protested along the road, alleging that the demolition was an attempt to grab the land for private development
TUKO.co.ke journalist Japhet Ruto has over eight years of experience in financial, business, and technology reporting, offering insights into Kenyan and global economic trends.
The Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) has clarified that the recent demolitions of makeshift structures and stalls along the Thika Superhighway in Githurai were carried out in accordance with the law.

Source: Facebook
KeNHA said the demolitions began at Githurai, where the clearance is intended to make way for the construction of a modern bus park.
Why did KeNHA demolish stalls in Githurai?

Read also
Nairobi MCAs launch fresh impeachment motion against Johnson Sakaja: “We have 55 signatures”
It reiterated that thousands of drivers and pedestrians in the crowded market area were at serious risk due to the encroachment onto the road reserve.
The authority noted that the section recorded several road safety incidents over the years, a tendency that it is determined to reverse.
“The Kenya National Highways Authority has initiated clearance of all illegal structures along the Thika Superhighway. The authority started at Githurai, where clearance is meant to pave the way for the construction of a modern bus park. The planned facility will provide a designated space for buses and matatus to safely pick up and drop off passengers, thereby enhancing order, efficiency, and traffic flow along the corridor,” it said in a statement on Friday, February 20, shared on its official social media pages.
The government agency stated that better access to the highway from Githurai Roundabout will enhance connectivity, providing drivers with more convenience and significantly reducing traffic in this busy area.
As part of continuous efforts to improve road safety, mobility and transport infrastructure along the Thika Superhighway, KeNHA will also carry out a similar clearance at Roysambu Roundabout to clear the way for the construction of another modern bus park.
Why did the Githurai traders demonstrate?
Members of the Githurai 45 business community are facing significant losses after market stalls and roadside structures were demolished.

Source: Facebook
KeNHA conducted the demolitions on the night of Wednesday, February 18, to clear road reserves. Bulldozers were seen levelling the stalls and mabati structures in images and videos widely shared from the area.
On Thursday, February 19, hundreds of traders protested by marching down Thika Road, alleging that the demolition was an attempt to grab the land for private development.
They reminded President William Ruto of his pre-election bottom-up promises, which vowed to protect small-business owners from having their stalls destroyed.
Who is the new KeNHA boss?
In other news, Luka Kipchumba Kimeli was recently appointed as the new director general by the transport authority.
Kimeli had been serving in an acting capacity since July 2025.
He took Kungu Ndungu’s place after he resigned. Winfrida Ngumi, the chairperson of the KeNHA board, acknowledged Kimeli’s capacity to lead the authority to new heights.

Read also
City Hall orders demolition of cracked five-storey building next to Mirema School: “Disaster in waiting”
Source: TUKO.co.ke




